More than 3.5 million people have applied for the new special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) Grant – within three days of the system going live. The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) started taking nationwide applications for the grant on Monday, 11 May 2020.
Applications are currently being assessed and verified:
- Those eligible will be notified and will start to receive their first payment of the six-month Special Covid19 SRD Grant of R350 effective from Friday – 15 May 2020.
- Once an application has been approved, the SASSA will ask for banking details.
- Those who have not been asked for banking details must know that they are not going to be paid.
The department has appealed to people to wait to be contacted and not visit SASSA offices. People can apply in one of three ways, namely:
- WhatsApp line: 082 046 8553
- USSD or SMS line: *134*7737#
- Online: email@example.com
An applicant must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee who is registered on the Home Affairs system and is a resident within the borders of the Republic of South Africa.
The department will continuously share information on developments across all platforms.